One purpose of Leaders UNITE is to help students see that leadership can be fun, and that anyone can step up as a leader in any situation. Think about your own school/a program you are a part of. Now take the time to think about how that school/program could incorporate leadership more into their curriculum. What would you do to provide more opportunities for students to be leaders/feel comfortable speaking out at your school?
This can be done as an activity or a discussion. For the discussion, just answer the question above. For an activity, do the discussion and then create a letter that you would send to your school showing them what they can do to create more opportunities for leadership in the classroom. If you have time, even think of actual changes you would implement and write them out in a detailed plan.
Students will have 25 minutes to do this discussion and activity. Be creative and try to think outside of the box!
*Note: If you are stuck for ideas, here are a few:
- Creating more opportunities for small group learning.
- Creating more opportunities for students to step up as leaders in the classroom.
- Having afterschool leadership programs.
- Having a debate or discussion team where you get to discuss important topics in leadership.
- Creating opportunities for people to share their culture/identity with the class.