One purpose of Leaders UNITE is to help students see that leadership can be fun, and that anyone can step up as a leader in any situation. Think about your own school/a program you are a part of. Now take the time to think about how that school/program could incorporate leadership more into their curriculum. What would you do to provide more opportunities for students to be leaders/feel comfortable speaking out at your school?
This can be done as an activity or a discussion. For the discussion, just answer the question above. For an activity, do the discussion and then create a letter that you would send to your school showing them what they can do to create more opportunities for leadership in the classroom. If you have time, even think of actual changes you would implement and write them out in a detailed plan.
Students will have 25 minutes to do this discussion and activity. Be creative and try to think outside of the box!
*Note: If you are stuck for ideas, here are a few:
- Creating more opportunities for small group learning.
- Creating more opportunities for students to step up as leaders in the classroom.
- Having afterschool leadership programs.
- Having a debate or discussion team where you get to discuss important topics in leadership.
- Creating opportunities for people to share their culture/identity with the class.
In this discussion, you will answer the following 3 questions.
1. How does a leader communicate effectively within a group?
2. How does a disability such as lack of verbal or physical communication affect the dynamic of a team?
3. Is there a difference between the communication between the leader/the team and rest of the team among themselves?
In this discussion, you will answer the three following questions:
1. What aspects do you believe work for you when attempting to lead a group?
2. Is there any type of skill or style that you have tried when leading a group but failed?
3. Which aspects would you individually like to improve on or explore through the development of your leadership skills?
In this discussion, you will answer these three questions.
1. What/who influences the way the we learn to lead?
2. Compare the effect of reading/the media/television to the effect of personal experiences/family/teachers in influencing our leadership tendencies.
3. How does negative leadership impact the whole group and the attempts at achieving a goal?
In this discussion, you will touch on three different- yet related- questions.
1. What are some examples of figures in history or in your daily life that you feel have successfully utilized their leadership abilities and engendered success?
2. Does there tend to be a trend regarding certain aspects of one’s character that is used when being a leader? For example, does someone tend to fall back to his/her bossy nature each time a problem arises during a task?
3. Does there seem to a an upward trend in compromise and thinking outside of the box when completing a task in school environment throughout the school year. If so, what stimulates the upward trend?